Learn how to conduct an ultrasound examination of the carotid and vertebral arteries.
Learn scanning protocols, stenosis grading criteria, steal syndrome and much more.
Course contains 11 e-booklets with over 230 slides and 6 video lectures.
Earn 9 CME credits & certificate of completion.
11 e-booklets containing over 230 slides
Estimated 9 hours or more to cover videos, slides & quizzes.
Access to this course is for 12 months from date of purchase.
Why do I need this course?
Carotid Duplex ultrasonography plays a key role in the management of patients with acute stroke, chronic cerebrovascular disease and patients with cardiovascular diseases. Carotid ultrasound is employed in primary prevention to stratify patients cardio and cerebrovascular risk. In patients after stroke or transit ischemic attack, carotid ultrasound helps to establish the aetiology of the current condition.
What questions does this course answer?
How do I measure intima media thickness? How do I identify and characterise atherosclerotic plaques of the carotid arteries? How do I correctly measure velocities within the carotid arteries? How do I grade a stenosis of the internal carotid artery? How do I identify Subclavian Steal Syndrome (SSS)?
Aim of the course
This Master course on Carotid and Vertebral Arteries will give you a comprehensive understanding on how to identify and quantify disease of the carotid and vertebral arteries.
Course key points
How to identify the carotid arteries with ultrasound
How to distinguish the external from the internal carotid artery
How to characterise atherosclerotic plaques of the carotid arteries
How to perform and ultrasound examination of the carotid arteries
How to grade a stenosis of the internal carotid artery
How to optimise the Doppler velocities measurements
How to scan the vertebral arteries
How to identify Subclavian Steal Syndrome (SSS)
How to report a carotid Duplex examination
1) Carotid U/S Anatomy
1. Carotid Ultrasound Anatomy Overview
2. Carotid Ultrasound Anatomy Overview
3. Internal & External Carotid Artery Ultrasound Anatomy
4. Internal & External Carotid Artery Ultrasound Anatomy
Quiz: Carotid Anatomy Overview and Internal & External Carotid Artery Differentiation
2) Carotid U/S Scanning Protocol
1. Carotid Scanning Protocol
2. Carotid Scanning Protocol
Quiz: Scanning Protocol (Parts 1 & 2)
3) Carotid Pathology
1. Carotid Artery Intima-Media Thickness (IMT) Measurement
2. Plaque Description
Quiz: Plaque Description
3. Carotid Stenosis Grading Morphological Method
Quiz: Carotid Stenosis Grading Morphological Method
4. Carotid Stenosis Grading Haemodynamic Method
5. Carotid Stenosis Grading Haemodynamic Method
Quiz: Carotid Stenosis Grading Haemodynamic Method
6. Near Occlusion & Occlusion of Carotid Arteries
7. Carotid and Vertebral Artery Reporting
4) Vertebral Artery U/S Anatomy & Scanning Protocol
1. Vertebral Artery Scanning Protocol
2. Vertebral Artery Scanning Protocol
Quiz: Vertebral Artery Scanning Protocol
3. Vertebral Artery Pathology
Quiz: Vertebral Artery Patholog